Puressence In The Best Little Acoustic Hothouse in Putney

Event Articles and Reviews
events
Forum Member
Forum Member

Puressence In The Best Little Acoustic Hothouse in Putney

Post by events »

Review by Jay Morey

Respected pub music leviathan the Half Moon sits proudly if not a little hidden away in London’s Putney. Since the 60s bands such as the Small Faces have graced the back room with its atmospheric whimsy and charm to very eager and appreciative audiences.

The 22nd of May saw an acoustic set being promised from Manchunian legends Puressence, as well as very able support from Marion front man, Jamie Harding.

The first thing that strikes you about the pub is its obvious dedication to music. Each wall is tastefully decked with photos, many of them signed, by the legends that have played there. The Half-Moon champion unsigned, tribute and established acts equally, and it feels like a very inclusive and friendly pub.

The sedate, tidy and clean main bar betrays two large silver doors that lead to a small gig space. It may be petite, but the chilled-out vibe and years of history permeate through the mix of day-glow posters and dark walls. The stage is jammed into a corner with speakers sat on black wooden blocks either side. It doesn’t feel cramped, rather friendly as people sit and wait patiently with cheap-enough drinks form the bar wedged in the opposite corner.

Jamie Harding comes to the stage almost apologetically and sings beautifully. As Jamie reels off a few short but well crafted songs to the patrons, the charm of the place becomes apparent. The lighting is very minimal, I could choke to death on the dry-ice and it heats extremely quickly. But it is the most intimate space I’ve been to and when half of Puressence, singer James Mudriczki and bass player Lowell Killen get to the stage, I realise how close we are. I move the set-list a couple of times for James to see it properly and even passed him a fresh pint from another fan.

I’ve already reviewed the new album Don’t Forget To Remember, and thought it amazing. But to hear the choicest tracks, namely Sold Unseen and Don’t Know Any Better, played stripped down and in such an atmosphere make me remember why live performances have the power to stir better than any recording.

James’ beautiful voice covers old balladry standard Bright Eyes without shame, tackles old favourites such as All I Want and This Feeling as though they are fresh and undiscovered, and graces the microphone with plenty of audience interaction. A two-song encore easily pleases those who want more of the older stuff from seminal Only Forever as well as serving to remind that yes, he really does sound that stunning.

12 acoustic songs for a tenner from Puressence feels like the greatest bargain in live music. Throw in James’ obvious enjoyment of being in front of a dedicated following, Jamie Harding’s support, and class atmosphere of this well-appointed and history flushed venue and you’ve got the best little music pub in West London.

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”