Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures Review

Event Articles and Reviews
events
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by events »

I was a bit dubious about the release of the second album because I seriously love Maximo Park with a deep appreciation of their first album ‘A certain Trigger.’. So you can imagine that I was expecting a lot- and second albums are a kind of make or break thing- it’s the ultimate ‘are they a fad’ test. To my relief this new offering was no disappointment. The familiar angry and hurting lyrics, immediately greet me in the first track ‘Girls who play guitars’. Which continues throughout the album, complaining about unluckiness in love (refreshing considering all those typical love songs that are to be continually churned out) and the academic references to books. Maximo park are very much a feet on the ground kind of band – who seem to have their shiny black points firmly planted there. This album is proof that the five piece have not succumbed to mainstream demands - Their sound is still distinctively Maximo Park - catchy and upbeat. The same nice warm homely feel, the friendly (and sexy?) Newcastle accent and the crisp guitar sounds (still verging into Futureheads territory but not yet a trace of watered down conventional mainstream indie crap). I’d say it’s a winner- let’s hope they persevere with their winning sounds in Album no. 3. But maybe introduce a little bit of love interest for the poor frustrated Paul Smith- it’s about time isn’t it?

Written by Helen for UKEvents.net

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”