Rach reviews Eva Cassidy – Songbird

Event Articles and Reviews
events
Forum Member
Forum Member

Rach reviews Eva Cassidy – Songbird

Post by events »

There is no doubt that most people have a wish to go back in time to see an artist back in their hay-day. For me there are many I would have loved to see, but there is one above all I would have relished to meet the most. I’ve heard it said by some that they thought Eva Cassidy was only made famous by dying. True perhaps, but there are easier ways to become famous – just look at Big Brother! What strikes me about Eva Cassidy is that she not only ‘missed’ the recognition she deserved when she was alive, but during her life she truly believed she did not deserve it.

‘Songbird’ is comprised of songs taken from Eva’s other albums; ‘Eva by Heart’, ‘Live at Blues Alley’ (her first album that was only released locally) and ‘The Other Side’. All of the tracks have been superbly mastered and the tracks from her live album sparkle with a real sense of atmosphere that must have been electrifying at the club itself. Eva’s angelic voice is easily recognisable in any recording and the tracks selected for this album illustrate her versatility as a vocalist as well as guitar player. Her vocals are fused with emotional feeling and it is hard to think that someone with such a pure voice would come from someone who suffers badly with stage fright.

The songs that are brought together on this album are all classic tracks that are occasionally recognised as being sung by Eva than perhaps the original artist. The best example of this being the opening track ‘Fields of Gold’ which I think of being one of her signature tunes than perhaps being written by Sting. This is why I love this album so much. Each track Eva Cassidy added her own spin on and created truly beautiful tracks. Other tracks such as ‘Over The Rainbow’ and ‘Wade In The Water’ are also given her delicate spin and signature.

Some may not like an album such as this, but you get a sense that the tracks really do mean something to Eva and that she is pouring her heart into the lyrics. That kind of surrender to the song is one of the things that I love best about this album. Yes the songs are not all happy and perhaps not so good if you’re feeling down, but there is something comforting in the way she sings that eases even the weariest heart. This must be a CD for everyone especially for those rainy afternoons.

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”