blink-182 3rd dec

Event Articles and Reviews
ukevents
Forum Member
Forum Member

blink-182 3rd dec

Post by ukevents »

Well due to th surprising success of my last review i thought i'd do another one for another great band!

Well for me it all started when i lost my tickets. You cannot imagine the tantrums and angryness of me (believe it or not Laughing ) that i went thru only to find out they could be replaced. Phew!

So we get to the arena and the box office to collect the replacement tickets and i happen to look at the wall at the back announcing the support acts: The Kinison and Sugarcult. This was my exact face Shocked I couldn't believe that Sugarcult were supporting and i hadn't been told!

The Kinison were, to put it nicely not to my liking... or anybody elses in the arena! I can handle a fair amount of screamo music, but in there you need some form of melody that fits together. While the hardcore metal fans formed a pit most of the arena tried to talk over them. They got a cheer when they went off but mostly to thank them for leaving.

During the first break the Sugarcult backdrop went up...hear the screams! And more to the point...me! I have followed this band since they supported Good Charlotte last December. Admittedly though i knew approximately 3 songs. Opening with Stuck In America was always going to go down very well. They did a lot of old material that i didn't know however a lot of the fans in the audience were singing along. Pretty Girl saw me close to tears but that's just me! Integrating as many swear words as humanly possible made the younger crowd feel like they were seeing something they weren't supposed to, and they loved it and any parents that were not happy but had to deal with it as everyone else was enjoying their time. They finished their set with Bouncing Off The Walls which did exactly what it says on the tin. Everyone went psycho and it definitely warmed up the place.

Why is it that the break between the last support act and the band you actually paid all the money to see drags sooooooo long? These two weird girls in front of us got abused because they were dancing like freaks...even people from the tier above us were throwing drinks cups and bits of paper at them. That was the half time entertainment. Very amusing.

The lights went down and the screams went up. The intro to Feeling This got everyone jumping around like the crazy people that they were. They did songs from the most recent album and mixed it up with anthems such as What's My Age Again? which was wonderfully followed by Violence (in more ways than one!). A faster-paced version (if that is possible) of Happy Holidays, You b**tard followed and was greeted with cheers all round. A few more recent songs followed and then some classics for the golden oldies in the form of Dysentery Gary and All of This. Between songs there was a lot of playful banter between Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus along the lines of the other one was gay etc etc. Mark wanted to outdo Tom so began the intro to one of the best Blink-182 songs ever. I can honestly say the building erupted like never before as Carousel was played unexpectedly and it was then that the die-hard fans and the teenies were seperated. Stay Together ForThe Kids is by far my favourite Blink-182 song and on hearing it i was a little uncontrollable. Such a classic song combining slow and fast-paced melodies to perfection. Then came the medley of Dumpweed, M&M's, Josie and Man Overboard. They ended their initial set with All The Small Things and Down.
The encore consisted of the tearjerking letter by Mark's Grandfather written to Mark's Grandmother during the war followed by Stockholm Syndrome and then a final song of Dammit. Now usually you would think this would be the end of a concert. Not with Blink-182! Mark decided he wanted to show his...erm...talents with instruments other than his bass. He picked up an electric guitar and proceeded to play it like a man possessed. But this wasn't enough for him, to prove himself a true musical artist he got out his little keyboard (which wasn't plugged in... yes battery operated!) and gave a little tinkle on the keys. Again he was rubbish but this didn't seem to deter him from his course. For most this would have been more than enough entertainment but i for one am glad he didn't stop there. His final instrument of choice to sway our judgement that he is actually good at music was none other than a harmonica. Now based on the past knowledge of guitar and keyboard you really can't imagine the noise that he made with this but it was possibly the most entertaining encore i have ever sat thru.

So the verdict? An all-round thrilling experience for all. Even though i was sitting (no mosh-pittage for me ) it was still an awesome show by a class act who are closely following, and possibly over-taking, their punk predecessors Green Day.

Hope you enjoy my second installment of concert reviews! if ashlee isnt going to Green Day il do one for that in jan and New Found Glory in feb.
Post lots of lovely comments on the best band in the world please! Very Happy
love louaze
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Join our events forum. Register for free today

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”