Album review: Trouble Ray Lamontagne

Event Articles and Reviews
ukevents
Forum Member
Forum Member

Album review: Trouble Ray Lamontagne

Post by ukevents »

Trouble Ray Lamontagne

I first discovered Ray Lamontagne when I was lazing about one late night watching some live gig on T.V (sorry I can’t remember what gig it was) but it was pretty boring until this coy, slightly ragged looking man with a woolly red beard and green cap stepped onto the stage with an acoustic guitar. Initially I thought generic bohemian singer/songwriter despite looking as if he was fishing for salmon rather than compliments. However as soon as he started strumming the chords to ‘Trouble ,’ and unleashing a warm, fuzzy voice that had firm roots in soul I thought, wow, something special here.

The album is filled with some beautiful songs ‘Trouble,’ being one, as well as ‘Shelter’ and ‘Forever My Friend,’ to simply name a few. Every time I listen to Ray I get feel as if I am in some remote French village relaxing with a glass of wine and accompanied by a sheep dog. Whether this imagery is evoked by the singer’s continental surname or he genuinely created the album with this landscape in mind is questionable, but it is a pleasant feeling wouldn’t you agree?

This album strongly parallels ’O,’ by Damian Rice, but with slightly more infusions of blues and soul reminiscent of early Bob Dylan material. Ray’s gravely, whisky soaked voice and guitar work is absolutely amazing it will continue to haunt you after you have finished playing the album. The final song ‘All The Wild Horses,’ is an epic song that encapsulates the genius and passion of the album, propelling it as one of the best and most original albums of the year.

Reviewed by George for UKEvents.net
Join our events forum. Register for free today

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”