Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare Album Review

Event Articles and Reviews
ukevents
Forum Member
Forum Member

Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare Album Review

Post by ukevents »

Sheffield’s finest are back for more in their quick follow-up to debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not. That particular album won the Mercury Music Prize 2006 and this hotly anticipated sequel has been nominated for this year’s award as well, the first time this has ever happened. But does Favourite Worst Nightmare compare with it’s awesome prequel?

Personally I think not. Don’t get me wrong, Favourite Worst Nightmare is still a great album, but the high standards the band set themselves with Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, were just too high to replicate in my opinion.

The album opens up with Brianstorm, a real edgy piece of music that really defines the new mature sound of the band. The manic drumbeat and non-relenting guitar combine to make a great Indie tune. Teddy Picker is much like Brianstorm and again is brash but tuneful at the same, which make it one of my favourite tracks. New single Fluorescent Adolescent is this albums version of Mardy Bum, which in it’s own right has become one of the bands most recognised tracks. Fluorescent Adolescent however is just as good, if not better, Alex Turner’s voice is more mature and mixed with the kooky lyrics and guitar it just makes it a highly polished track and definitely one of the best on the album. Do Me A Favour, This House Is A Circus and If You Were There Beware are all strong album tracks and are definitely worth a good listen. The album finishes on a very strong note, with the catchy and just plain cool Old Yellow Bricks and the very melodramatic 505. Both are examples of how the band’s diversity of music has grown and are my two favourite tracks of the album.

So all in all the boys done good, but not as good as before! Favourite Worst Nightmare on balance has a blend of fantastic lyrics, brash guitar and complex drums, but for me there isn’t enough tracks to sing along to like Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not and that’s what I think was part of the Arctic Monkeys appeal; songs you could instantly recognise in a club and sing along to. That takes nothing away from what is a good album however, and I would still recommend to almost anyone.

Written by Matthew for UKEvents.net
Join our events forum. Register for free today

Return to “Event Articles and Reviews”